Malaria is the primary cause of morbidity and mortality in Mali, particularly among children under the age of five. While the entire population is at risk for malaria, internally displaced persons migrating from the north are especially vulnerable given their low immunity to infection. Due to the diversity of malaria transmission in Mali, the malaria control strategy emphasizes both universal coverage of key malaria interventions, as well as specific epidemic and entomological surveillance, and targeted operational research.
In its second year of implementation, PMI VectorLink Mali will collaborate with the NMCP / MOH to implement an IRS campaign that targets 149,919 eligible structures in 35 geographically contiguous health areas (“Aire de Santé”) in three districts in Mopti region: Bandiagara, Djenné, and Mopti.
The campaign aims to cover:
- 58,694 structures in Bandiagara, in the 13 target health areas (of 27 total),
- 24,094 structures in Djenné, in the 7 target health areas (of 22 total) and
- 67,131 structures Mopti, in the 15 target health areas (of 27 total)
- Cover at least 85 percent of eligible structures in the 35 target health areas in the three districts and protect an estimated population of 587,426.
- Implement IRS in collaboration with NMCP / MOH personnel in the three districts and at the regional and central levels.
- Continue developing national and local capacity to organize, plan, implement, and evaluate IRS campaigns through intensive trainings, engagement of NMCP / MOH personnel in campaign preparation and supervision, and action planning for the transfer of IRS responsibilities over the five years of the project.
- Prior to each activity, organize working sessions with the NMCP and the National Directorate for Sanitation and Pollution Control (Direction National de l’Assainissement, Contrôle de Pollution et de Nuisances, DNACPN) to prepare and distribute tasks.
- Support the NMCP / MOH to conduct orientation and dissemination workshops regarding the use of entomological and epidemiological data for strategic vector control decision making at the central level and the application of national IRS strategic documents at the sub-regional level.
- Conduct, in partnership with the NMCP / MOH and other stakeholders, high-quality entomological monitoring of the 2019 IRS campaign in Mopti Region and collect data on insecticide resistance throughout the country to be used by the NMCP and relevant malaria control stakeholders in Mali to select appropriate insecticides and rotational strategies for the 2020 spray campaign and beyond.
- Conduct, in partnership with the Laboratory of Applied Molecular Biology (LBMA), the third year of long-lasting insecticidal net (LLIN) durability monitoring (previously implemented through the Global Health Supply Chain – Procurement and Supply Management [GHSC-PSM] project).
In 2019 and beyond, the PMI VectorLink project seeks to continue generating and supporting the use of data for vector control decision-making at the national, regional, and district levels. VectorLink will participate in the validation and implementation of the Integrated Vector Control (IVC) strategy in collaboration with the NMCP, MOH, World Health Organization (WHO), and other relevant stakeholders, and provide evidence and expertise influencing decisions around rotational strategies in IRS implementation as well as ITN use throughout Mali.