Malaria is considered the most important public health problem in Mozambique where it accounts for nearly one third of all deaths and 42 percent of deaths in children less than five years old. Although malaria prevalence has decreased in all provinces, the country continues to face challenges that have slowed the progress of key malaria prevention and treatment interventions. PMI-supported activities include support for the national IRS program; free routine ITN distributions to pregnant women and to children; procurement and distribution of rapid diagnostic tests to all levels of the health system; provision of intermittent preventive treatment of pregnant women; and revitalization of the community health worker program.
In 2019, VectorLink will support the implementation of IRS mentation of IRS in five selected districts in Zambezia Province, provide direct support for entomological monitoring activities in Zambezia and Nampula provinces and for the national entomological program, and provide specific support to the national government IRS program.
The key goals and objectives of 2019 activities are as follows:
- Achieve at least 85 percent spray coverage of targeted structures in the five districts.
- Support national and provincial government in entomological monitoring and IRS capacity building.
- Carry out a logistics assessment in all districts, and manage all international and local procurement, shipping, customs clearance, timely delivery, and storage of spray pumps, spare parts, insecticide, and personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Ensure safe and correct insecticide application, thus minimizing human and environmental exposure to IRS insecticides, in compliance with the Safer Use Action Plan in the approved 2015 Supplemental Environmental Assessment (SEA).
- Lead community mobilization, education, and communication (IEC) and behavior change communication (BCC) sensitization and mobilization activities to increase community awareness and acceptance of IRS.
- Conduct routine entomological monitoring in all spray sites.
- Complete the set-up of a replacement insectary in Zambezia and provide technical support for the Nampula insectary.
- Support the national government’s IRS program in Nampula through provincial-level training of trainers (TOT).
- Increase support for environmental compliance, social and behavior change communication (SBCC) and stock management for IRS implementation in Nampula.
- Promote cost efficiency through due diligence and efficiency of operations.
 The national government will conduct IRS in Maputo City and Nampula Provinces. Goodbye Malaria will spray Maputo Province, and the NMCP will spray Nampula. VectorLink Mozambique will provide technical support only to Nampula Province.