The President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) has a long history of combating malaria in Zimbabwe through indoor residual spraying (IRS), dating back to August 2011. With support from PMI, The PMI VectorLink Project supports and implements vector control activities in Zimbabwe to prevent the spread of malaria. In the project’s first year of implementation (2017), PMI VectorLink conducted IRS in four districts, Chimanimani, Mutare, Mutasa, and Nyanga, in Manicaland Province. With guidance from NCMP and PMI, the project has relocated its operations to Mashonaland East Province to spray the high malaria-burdened Mudzi and Mutoko Districts during the second year of implementation. The change in location was supported by the NMCP and is also in line with the country’s Insecticide Resistance Management Plan (IRMP).
In 2020, VL Zimbabwe targeted 147,636 structures in two districts, Mudzi and Mutoko District, using a mixture of clothianidin and deltamethrin (Fludora Fusion) from November 2 to December 14, 2020. A total of 133,078 structures were sprayed out of 136,774 structures found by spray operators in the targeted districts, resulting in a coverage rate of 97.3%.
The project’s primary objective is to spray a minimum coverage of 85 percent of the structures found in each district by implementing high-quality IRS operations. In order to maintain gains accomplished and sustain best practices in four districts of Manicaland Province (Nyanga, Mutasa, Mutare, and Chimanimani) the project continued to provide technical support to the NMCP’s Manicaland 2020 IRS campaign.
Starting in Year 4 (March 1, 2021 to February 28, 2022), the PMI VL Zimbabwe project will no longer be providing a full IRS implementation package. Instead, support will transition to include technical assistance to NMCP to support IRS in PMI supported districts of Mashonaland East Province, on the job training for entomological surveillance in prioritized districts and support in finalizing Zimbabwe’s Entomological Strategic Plan. The project will continue conducting routine entomological surveillance in three sentinel sites and insecticide resistance in four sentinel sites. Key objectives are:
- Support the 2021 IRS campaign with technical assistance in environmental compliance and monitoring and evaluation (M&E) to five districts in Mashonaland East Province, including the two PMI-supported districts – Mutoko and Mudzi.
- Support IRS trainings in Mashonaland East Province focusing on EC and M&E activities to improve the overall spraying campaign.
- Share VectorLink’s best practices in IRS with the NMCP to support the national 2021 IRS campaign.
- Conduct insecticide resistance in four sentinel sites – three in Mashonaland East Province and one in Manicaland – and wall bioassay, vector density monitoring, and other vector behavioral studies in three sentinel sites of Mashonaland East Province.
- Support NMCP with entomology technical assistance to implement a national entomological survey and develop and implement an entomological strategic plan.
- Provide NMCP with technical support for the incorporation of entomological modules in the national DHIS2 instance.
- Given that a supplemental environmental assessment (SEA) was developed and approved by PMI in 2017 and will be valid until 2022, prepare a letter report for 2021.